Assam Gas Company Ltd., a Govt. of Assam Undertaking was incorporated on March 31,1962 in Shillong as a limited company wholly owned by the Government of Assam to carry out all kinds of business related to natural gas in India. The first gas transportation business started in the year 1967 with supply of natural gas to Namrup Thermal Power Station of ASEB. Subsequently, the company grew from strength to strength and stands today as one of the premier natural gas distribution companies in India.
Assam Gas Company Ltd. has a network of underground natural gas trunk and distribution pipelines that serves about 400+ tea factories, 1000 commercial establishments, about 31,000 domestic consumers and several big industrial consumers in the districts of Tinsukia, Dibrugarh, Sivasagar, Charaideo, Jorhat, Golaghat and Cachar in Assam. It has its present headquarters in the oil town of Duliajan in the district of Dibrugarh,Assam,India. The Company has a capacity to transport over 5.5 MMSCMD of natural gas. Over the years AGCL has established branch offices in 14(fourteen) different locations in Assam.
Presently the Company’s Authorized Share Capital is Rs. 20.00 Crore and Paid Up Capital is Rs 16.91 Crore. Received ISO certification in the year 2000 and subsequently upgraded to ISO 9001:2008 in the year 2010.
Assam Gas Company Ltd. has been declared under Category ‘A’ by the Department of Public Enterprises, Govt. of Assam based on sound financial performance over a number of years among the functioning State Level Public Sector Undertakings. The Company has been paying regular dividends to the Govt. of Assam and also to the CM’s Relief Fund.
The Company feels proud of its sound Industrial Relationship between the workers’ and the management leading to healthy work environment. Also its adherence to safety rules has earned itself Rajiv Gandhi National Safety Award.